Open for Business


The following steps will need to be considered before opening a Business in Justin, TX. 

Opening Your Business
The first step is to determine that the property on which the business is to be located has the proper zoning.  In addition, some uses require a special use permit (SUP).  The best way to find out is to call 940.648.2541 ext. 104 and ask.

Moving Into an Existing Space


A business considering going into an existing building in Justin should verify that the intended use is allowed under the current zoning of the property.  Call 940.648.2541 ext. 104.

If the zoning must be changed, a request must be made to the Planning and Development Department. After notifying all property owners withing a 300-foot area of the perimeter of the subject property, a hearing will be scheduled for the Planning and Zoning Commission (P&Z). At this time the public can speak for or against the proposed changes.  P&Z then makes a recommendation to approve or deny the request to the City Council.  If approved, the recommendation moves to City Council.  If P&Z denies the request, the applicant may appeal to the City Council.  The Planning and Development Department will then schedule public hearings at two consecutive City Council meetings at which there will be opportunities for additional public input.  At the end of the second hearing, the council will vote to approve or deny the request.  In some cases they may choose to table the request in order to get more information or to allow the applicant to make changes. 

Special Use Permit

Some businesses require a Special Use Permit (SUP) within a zoning category.  To determine whether your business requires an SUP, call 940.648.2541 ext. 104.

Certificate of Occupancy:

Before the business can open, a certificate of occupancy must be issued.  Call 940.648.2541 ext. 104.

Constructing a New Building
If you are considering constructing a new building, proper zoning and special use permits must also be obtained.  Prior to issuing a building permit, the developer must submit a site plan for review.  If it is not already, the property must also be platted.  When the developer has met the conditions of the zoning and site plan review, a building permit will be issued.  During construction, periodic inspections will be made.  Before the business can open, a final inspection and certificate of occupancy must be obtained.  It is a good idea to schedule a design review with City staff.  Call 940.648.2541 ext. 104.



1. All operating businesses in Texas must register with the Secretary of State.

         Texas Secretary of State


         (512)  463-5770

 2. If you plan to conduct your business under any name other than your personal name, a D.B.A (Doing Business As) certification needs to be registered with the Denton County Clerk’s office.  The legal name of your business is required on all government forms and applications.

         Denton County Clerk’s Office

         1450 E. McKinney St.

         Denton, Texas 76209 

 3.  Contact the IRS to request an Employers Identification Number (EIN). This number is used to identify a business.

        Internal Revenue Service

        819 Taylor Street #6A14

        Fort Worth, TX 76102


 4.  Corporate certificates and information pertaining to filling of articles or authority of foreign corporations to do business in Texas, contact the Secretary of State.

        Texas Secretary of State


         (512)  463-5770                

5.   Contact the Comptroller of Public Accounts to determine the tax responsibilities for the new business on the federal, state, and local levels. Note: The State of Texas does not have state income tax.

               Texas Comptroller of Pubic Accounts

              P.O. Box 13528, Capitol Station

              Austin, TX 78711


 6.   Check with the State to determine responsibilities pertaining to statewide permits or licenses required

                Office of the Governor

               State of Texas

               Economic Development and Tourism Division


   7.  The Fair Labor Act requires employers to retain records on earnings, hours, and other items. Employers having workers subject to minimum wage provisions must display certain posters where employees can readily see them.

              U.S Department of Labor, ESA Wage & Hour Division

             The Office of Brookhollow

             1701 E. Lamar

             Suite 270- Box 22

             Arlington, TX 76006


 8.   Area Wage Survey information can be obtained for the Bureau of Labor Statistics

             Bureau of Labor Statistics

            EA&I, Room 221 525 Griffin St.

            Dallas, TX 75202

            (214) 767-6974             

9.  Contact Texas Workforce Commission regarding the collection of unemployment tax and benefits for qualifying employees. The unemployment tax program collects wage information and taxes from employers subject to the unemployment compensation Act.

              Texas Workforce Commission

             1300 Teasley Ln.

              Denton, TX 76205



 10.   For information regarding Federal Occupational Safety requirements contact OSHA.

          Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

          U.S Department of Labor, Regional Office

          525 Griffin St.., Room 602

          Dallas, Texas 75202


11.   For information and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act, state disability policy, disability statistics and local disability resources, contact:

        Texas Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities

         P.O. Box 12428

        Austin, Texas 78711

        512-463-5739 or 512-463-5746(TDD)  

 12. All information regarding licenses and fees pertaining to the sale, transportation or storage of alcoholic beverages can be obtained from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission 

            Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

           Arlington Regional Office– Licensing and Enforcement


           2225 East Randol Mill Road, Suite 200

           Arlington, TX 76011               

 13. Businesses involved in the handling, processing, packaging and storage of food must have a Health permit issued by the Denton County Health Department.

            Texas Department of State Health Services

             PO Box 149347

           Austin, TX 78714



            Denton County